Sunday, April 24, 2011

Obey your master (Dahnya)

After months of endless nights, research, tinkering, failures and restarts: his thesis showing finally took place. I am so proud for my Francis. The beginning of the end took place Friday at the Blaffer Gallery alongside the other 9 candidates. As of now, Fran is less than 3 weeks away from being a Master of fine arts in sculpture!


Check out the proud candidate with his awesome bowtie (which, may I add, he ordered himself). When he wants to, Fran can be a true fashionista.


Explaining the process of his works. He looked so handsome!

My favorite of the pieces: the Caloric Converter. Even though, these bones sat in Mildred's kitchen for weeks and stunk to high heaven! Poor piggy.

This is a terrible picture of the fridge piece but, for those that don't know: Fran's studio sits directly behind Mildred. It also serves as the gateway to our laundry hall. You don't understand how many times I accidentally tripped on the wire & tubes coming out of this particular creation. Each time my heart stopped! I am so happy it is successfully home elsewhere.

The tape was my suggestion. Go me!

The piece that as the artist's wife, I still do not understand. Francis, care to elaborate?

The cute little monster that stole my heart in Jeremy's shadows piece. So cute & friendly (the adjectives I know he was gunning for)! 

If you have a chance, I recommend you take the time to visit the Blaffer to admire the works put up by the MFA candidates- it is an amazing collection. It will be sad to close this chapter but, at the same time, I'm ready to see what the future holds!


PS: If you're interested, the artists are scheduled to hold talks this coming week to discuss their work. Fran is up Tuesday at noon- I can only be there in spirit since the stupid math TAKS test is taking place that day. 

3 comments:

  1. I like the Metallica reference in the title :) Thanks. I really couldn't have done it with out Dahnya. She has put up with a lot the past three years. Best wifey ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Fran! Will & I had a great time at the opening and were inspired by your awesome work! :)

    ReplyDelete