Sunday, August 29, 2010

Something other than art...(Dahnya)

For those of you outside of the educational calendar- as of last week school is back in full swing. Fran, now in his last year of grad school, has been assigned a 5 minute slideshow showcasing something he is good at other than art. 


When Fran first brought the assignment up a few days ago my suggestions were, "carpentry! music! cooking (he makes the best breakfast tacos)! skateboarding!" to all of these my frustratingly humble husband would reply, "yeah but I'm not that good at _____". Finally, I threw my hands up in the air and asked him what he thought he was good at. His response? Putting outfits together. Um...back story: about two Christmases ago Fran went to my all-time favorite store and put together an outfit (purse included!) that was pretty darn delectable. And because I loved the outfit, Fran now believes he is the expert when it comes to pairing women's clothes. 


I, being the supportive & loving wife that I am, decided to jump on board with this talent of his and suggested heading to Anthro to use me as his model. The plan was to give Fran free rein at the store to peruse merchandise and assemble different outfits that I would try on. He would photograph his outfits to put as evidence in a slideshow that would then be shared in class. 


I must admit to being super excited. For starters, I don't need a reason to walk into Anthro. Second, I was secretly hoping he would put together an outfit so beautiful that he couldn't say no to buying it. Third, another secret part of me loved being someone's doll! 


Upon entering the store I left the "expert" to fend for himself (so as to not unconsciously guide the outfit choices) and waited for him to complete his choices. I kept myself busy rifling through the fabulous sale section until the time came when I was summoned to the dressing rooms. I eagerly shucked my clothes and slipped into the first of the outfits, only to come out and...well, see for yourselves:


My husband wants to turn me into a bright Amish school teacher! 
FYI, I did fall in love with the actual sweater and shirt. The skirt was a tad unflattering but with the right belt this could have been a winner in my book.

This is me, rolling my eyes for the camera & the finicky fashionista. 
My love for ruffles must have carried over into his fashion taste...(super cute skirt, just not on me). 

He also chose the sweetest lacy frock with a jersey shirt because apparently he "loves the texture". Perhaps I should have thought twice before subjecting Fran to Project Runway marathons.

I will let the Tim Gunn wannabe enlighten you as to what his presentation will feature...but, videotaping him strumming the base or double flipping (or whatever) on his board would have been a whole lot easier. Not to mention a lot less confusing for the two girls working the fitting room. I don't think they knew what to make of Fran's critical dictations on how I should be tucking in my shirt or where to stop to pose for a photo.


And that, ladies & gentlemen, is how we spent our Sunday afternoon. 

When really we should have been painting the monstrous armoire that is currently looming in the middle of our dining room...(that's right. I haven't finished my project). 



3 comments:

  1. I love that black skirt and the top, too!!! Wantwantwant...do they make big girl sizes at Anthro? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I remember that awesome Anthro outfit he put together for you that Christmas! That mustardy yellow purse was so pretty! And the beautiful plaid jacket thing, right? - Fran...See what a great impression you made that I remember after all this time!?!

    The black skirt is so pretty, and the orange skirt looks great with your skin tone!

    Fran, can't wait to see the presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so amusing. I wish I could have seen all of this in action at the dressing room!

    ReplyDelete