Tuesday, July 31, 2012

birthday visit (Dahnya)

After a few weeks of rattling around in the new house, we had our very first guests over! With our rather limited experience in Ft. Worth we ventured out to the places Fran & I have placed on our favorites list:

fro-yo! 

 Ft. Worth Food Park. How Houston does not have one is beyond me, it would make life easier (or more difficult considering how many good food trucks there are). Especially when I share just how much we ate while there... each "dish" is from a different truck. We definitely made the rounds & gained a few pounds while in there.

strawberry basil lemonade: soo good! Especially since it was 110 degrees outside.

One of the best mac & cheese creations I've yet to taste! 

Kentucky Bourbon cupcake: the actual cake had a slight bourbon taste with a caramel frosting which was then coated with pecans. Yes. It was amazing.

Mexico City style tacos. While not quite what they claimed (Mexican City tacos are THE BEST tacos on earth) they came fairly close. I also have to give them credit for having a great selection of salsas. I tried two, the avocado & habanero. The habanero sauce had me finishing my lemonade in .25 seconds. It was so caliente, my upper lip turned bright red. 

Drunk & loaded tater tots: the pulled meat was marinated in whiskey & then used as a topping. I am wishing for another order, right now.

The next stop is not Fran's favorite. But, considering H&M, F21, JCrew and a few of my other must-hit shops were housed under one air conditioned building, the Dallas Galleria wrestled its way into our itinerary. Folks, we were dealing with a high of 112 degrees, along with heat advisories. The botanical gardens, zoo & parks were quickly discarded. Not to mention, my current bum foot called for minimal walking. Hence...
my rolling indoor vehicle. It was quite an experience navigating a new mall while my husband wheeled me around- it took my bossiness to a whole new level! Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten to experience the inside of the aforementioned stores.

But, as much as Fran detests malls, I think the skating rink at the end of the night may have eliminated most of his mall-aversion:
 
this Yankee lived up to his roots, Apolo Ohning it up on the ice.

I think all in all the now 27 year old enjoyed his birthday weekend bash, just look at that smile.

So, who's next*? 


*disclaimer: seriously y'all this heat is crayzy. I suggest our next visitors arrive in the fall when the weather drops below the triple digits! We could barely leave the house without wilting. I cannot begin to fathom how people manage to stand in line at six flags or hurricane harbor or admiring the animals at the zoo with the heat!



3 comments:

  1. Yeah that mac and cheese looks awesome and so does the Kentucky Bourbon cupcake. They have those food trucks parks in Atlanta, I have not gone because I would be overwhelmed with the choices. OVERWHELMED! PS Girl it is hot in Houston too don't act surprised by their hotness. At least the humidity is not overwhelmingly horrible that you feel like when you walk outside you just walked into swamp water and you can ring out your shirt after being outside for five minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Austin even has a food truck too! Houston needs to get on board! Looks like a fun time in FW! That's where I grew up!

    ReplyDelete