Sunday, March 20, 2011

Oink, oink! (Dahnya)

I must confess that when Fran approached me with the idea to buy and roast a pig, I was extremely skeptical. I figured it was one of his zany ideas and that given time, would vanish into the pile of "ill conceived artist" ideas. 

But then he began scavenging for parts to build a roaster.
He researched places around town that would sell a whole pig.
Watched endless videos on roasting and grilling pigs (this sounds like something out of American Psycho, doesn't it?)
Eventually he sent out a facebook invite.
And then he actually went to pick up the pig. 

It was then, Friday night (the eve before the "event"), that I realized, shoot. This is really happening. 

So I got out our party lights, asked Don Fernando to borrow his table and chairs, tidied Mildred and braced myself for the worst. After all, a pig was being roasted in our yard by my inexperienced husband and Jack. What couldn't go wrong...?

 
 
Well, turns out...nothing. It went without a hitch! The poor piggy was plump, juicy and delicious- hats off to the chefs! They did a great job seasoning the meat and made me a true believer.

  
I think of all of us the one who seemed to enjoy the party the most was Doaksie boy. He couldn't get enough meat! He went through a good batch of bones/meat. 

It was a lot of fun meeting and interacting with Fran's school friends, colleagues and students. I don't always get a chance to meet everyone he talks about after work and even with the endless gallery openings, we don't stick around long enough to see everyone that comes in. I loved that the pig roast allowed me that opportunity. It was a small peek into his world from the comfort of home. 

It'll be fun come his graduation to see the finished product (I'll let Fran explain the purpose for the pig). Be ready, peeps: come late April, we'll be celebrating roast style once again!

Party animal, Doakes, was pooped at the end of the night. This doggy sure does love to party, though.

PS: We have two trays of food. If you find yourself not wanting to cook in the next few days, swing on by. We have plenty to share!

5 comments:

  1. Um... excuse me. I am not inexperienced. If there is one thing this former pig farmer and butcher knows it's how to roast a pig. Although, I never did it in a Caja China before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, I laughed so hard at the American Psycho reference! It does sound a little creepy.

    I bet Doakes had the best day ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to come to the next one! (Hope I'm not in class again. :-/)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish we could have been there! I LOVE your bluebonnet bouquet! :)

    ReplyDelete