Sunday, March 20, 2011

La Caja China my new best friend (Francis)


At the risk of sounding creepy, I recently decided I needed some pig skin for a piece I am working on. So naturally I dived into my normal start of a project research and decided that buying pig leather was nearly comparable to buying a whole pig and skinning it myself. This is how the Leather Daddy's Pig Roast idea was born.

After enlisting my studio mate Jack (who was an amazing help through the whole thing) we decided building our own Caja China box would be the cheapest way to go.


The whole thing, I am proud to say, was constructed out of scrap wood and discarded materials we found at the UH Sculpture building.

The roasting was a huge success! We will hopefully have tons of pictures from folks to post in the future. In the mean time here is a photo of our beloved Bruce. Jack and I decided that we should name him. He had already worked his way into our hearts so this is him strapped in, seasoned and ready for his final journey into our bellies.



"This is possibly the most metal thing I've ever done."
-Jack

Thanks to my lovely wife for putting up with the craziness and coming to our rescue with tortillas and all the other things Jack and I forgot.

Thanks to Jack for being amazing and tirelessly helping me pull this off.

Thanks to everyone who came, brought other food, libations and well wishes. It was a blast!





3 comments:

  1. Jack's quote is HILARIOUS.

    Also, have you noticed how often Jack has been featured? He should have a special guest entry at this rate..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like it was so much fun!! I am curious to find out where you bought a whole pig from though, was it from an asian grocery store?

    So impressive that you and Jack built that whole thing yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Heidi! I got it at Petes's Fine Meats at Richmond and Chimney Rock.

    Dahnya he has only been mentioned twice.

    ReplyDelete