Sunday, June 17, 2012

230 miles (Dahnya)

230 miles. That, my friends, is the distance between Houston & Arlington, TX. 


Why would this be at all relevant to a posting on a six month dormant blog? Because come this summer, the TX Giampietro's will be heading that way. Permanently. 


It's funny to me that the last post I left on this blog was the one regarding 2012. Back when I wrote that entry, I knew a change was coming. I didn't quite know what it would entail but I sensed it. 


I should probably backtrack and explain the story. 


A few weeks back Fran applied for a position at the University of Texas in Arlington. He had been looking into their sculpture program and loved the direction the school was taking it. The application process via universities is entirely different from anything I have ever experienced, it's not a simple process. And, unfortunately, it takes forever to hear "yea" or "nay". Well, last Friday, it was a "yea". When I walked in the door and Fran broke the news. My emotions were tugged into two different directions:


Ecstatic joy for this huge hurdle Fran had just jumped. 
Profound sadness in leaving my family, friends & Houston behind. 


The timeline we are working with (two weeks to move & get out of town) has panic overriding the happy/sad factor at the moment. 


First off, did anyone know Fran & I are hoarders in-the-making? The two years we have spent in Mildred has led to the accumulation of STUFF. When I say STUFF, I mean JUNK. We both have a terrible habit of associating memories to things therefore complicating matters when trying to condense our junk into a more feasible packing environment. Ugh. It's terrible! The only accomplishment I can claim at the moment is that our wall of books has been packed into 9 boxes. 3 of which are headed to half price books. 3 boxes of books is a feat we should celebrate. The sorting of these books led to quite a few arguments (and memory throwbacks). But, hopefully, everything else will be a bit easier. Anyone want to take the reins & just go on a throw away rampage for me? I want to think the process would be somewhat like a band aid. Quick & painful but help ease the wound. 


boxes have taken over our home

Aside from the packing, the task of finding a home to live in a city you do not know, is almost impossible (what the hell did people do before the internet?!). Fran & I spent hours poring through the internet, calling people and setting up appointments thanks to the contacts of friends who know people in the Dallas/Fort Worth area (detour: can anyone explain this city-slash-city concept to me, please?!). We dropped everything this weekend to hightail it to UTA and explore the campus & its surrounding areas in the hopes of locating our future home. 


Either we are extremely picky or simply looking in the wrong places because out of the 16 homes we saw, we only fell in love with 4. Our top choice is currently in the running to be picked up by another family- unless Lady Luck intervenes & we win out. 


Never had House Hunters hit so close to home as this weekend (after all, Mildred literally fell into our lap). It is stressful to go into a house, fall in love and then realize, someone else beat you to it! I am ashamed to admit it but, when we found out the Montclair house was "pending" I indulged in a bit of a tantrum in the car. HGTV, where were you? I was reality television gold! 


Ready to get your "ding dong" fix on? (wow, out of context that would be pretty awful- damn you Shades of Grey & your naughty influence on me lately)


House 1 (currently called Montclair):

With its hardwood floors, giant backyard & charming details: this 60 year old home has a bit of a Mildredesque vibe to it. Except, obviously younger and with a fenced in area for Doakes to run off some energy. I didn't do a great job with my picture taking but the two reasons I fell in love with the house (other than the Mildred parallels): one, it had the old school phone built in a la Mad Men and two, the kitchen has scallop details throughout.


if you look very closely, you can see the phone built in on the left hand side down the hallway

this picture does not give a good perspective on the size but it's a doggy daydream


House 2 (the Ugly Duckling):


Yes, it has high ceilings. Yes, it has the cutest courtyard within the house thereby flooding it with natural light. Yes, it has built ins & character. Yes it has a pool. But, it's also a product of 70s architecture & therefore when you see it out front you can't help but cringe. While I love it's innards I can't help but loathe its exterior. Hence, the ugly duckling (and second place) term.
this is the view from the house's backyard! paradise? anyone?

the winter would be fun with this fireplace...




Apartment 3 (OMG):


If Fran and I had no furniture. No Doakes. No sculpture studio, the OMG apt. would be perfect. The building is a restored 1909 flour warehouse. It is absolutely gorgeous! The tiled floor, the wooden floors, the light fixtures, the cabinets, the claw tub, everything in the apartment has me lovestruck but, unfortunately it would be such a tight fit for us and our 90 pound beast. Not to mention, there would be absolutely no space for visitors or Fran's tools. Cue the whomp-whomps.
the tub! the tiles! what I'm not showing you all is the amazing medicine cabinet above the sink! 

seriously, I want this kitchen with it's gorgeous hardware & tiled counter top.




House 4 (eh):


It hits every single bullet point on the house wishlist but the house is located in the middle of suburbia. It's not what Fran & I want to move towards. /span>
sweet but, bland.

Our two day house hunting frenzy finished with a giant can of Redbull, Donald Glover  being a weirdo on youtube and Fran and I exhausted. But, we have a few pots boiling in the hopes that we can build a home a la Mildred on the other side of Texas. Can I interest anyone on a six flags-stockyard-Cowboy stadium road trip?






5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I misspelled a ton in my last post. But I was saying that we would visit and go to Six Flags Arlington and check out downtown Fort Worth, I hear it is pretty cool. Then we can buy our ten gallon hats and shoot up the place Yosemite Sam Style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) Absolutely we are going to Six Flags.
    2) I hear the Rangers make for a pretty good baseball excursion.
    3) Suburbia really idn't all that bad (really!) unless it's reallllllllllly far away from downtown.
    4) I am an excellent coach when it comes to chunking items. I helped Meris get rid of majority of her wordly goods prior to her shipping off to the nunnery. Holler if you need help!
    5) Whenever I think about this move, I still get so excited for y'all! A completely new adventure in a completely new city! Think of the blog posts.......and you're gonna get snow this Christmas, I just know it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much agreed with Becca on this one: This IS an adventure and you get to have it in a new city!

    This means I have one couple on my list to visit when I go up there ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off God bless you both and I wish you sucess and happiness in this new venture in your lifes. Moving is part of our life, so you should've been familiarized by now, it takes us all by surprise, but it is these testing moments that will make your marriage more bonding, as you both are paddling towards the same direction. I'd say above Mrs Luck there is Someone more powerful, aim your prayers above and you'll get answers and wishes filled. Love you both. Pa

    ReplyDelete