Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Better Late Than Never Christmas Purse Story (Francis)


For those of you that follow Dahnya's other blog there was some mention not so long ago of a purse I got her for Christmas and the story that goes along with it. So I thought I would take a crack at sharing my side of that story.

Several weeks before Christmas, around the time when Jack was moving into the studio with me. He and I went on a hunt for what would come to be the best gift I have ever given Dahnya (her words not mine). We started peruse any and all the resale shops we could find in search of a big "hobo" style purse.

Alittle back story, so Dahnya had been lusting after a Marc Jacobs purse. Seeing as we are, for all intents and purposes broke and Mr. Jacobs' products are definitely not priced for the "every man" I should find another solution. Seeing as fashion is often cyclical and shabby chic 50s nostalgia and 80s-ish stuff is what Dahnya is into right now why not find something used and economical that was actually from any of these eras.


Back to the Jack and Fran's excellent adventure. After many a fruitless endeavor we strode into an Grace Heart Antiques on 19th Street in the Heights and asked the wonderful ladies at the counter for some advice. One of the lovely ladies told us that they had a purse that might be of interest but it was stained and in need of some repairs. Upon seeing the original 80s Coach purse Jack and I both said we'll take it! After reveling in our success we finally got down to the business of setting up the studio.

Later that week I took my new purchase over the Houston Shoe Hospital to have them work some magic. They said they could die the purse an original Coach chocolate brown and it would make the stain disappear. Then only two stress filled weeks of gradually lowering expectations it was finally ready and Dahnya had her new bag!

For those of you that don't know my loving wife (I'm assuming most do but whatever) she has very little faith in my taste and sense of aesthetic despite my pursuit of advanced degrees in looking at shit. Not to mention my track record for gifts is pretty stellar, I can't even think of one true failure. Despite my hatred of it I swallowed my pride and even nailed Valentine's Day this year (A story for another day)! Never the less, you can imagine the stress and buildup that surrounded the arrival of the purse and my utter relief after cranking this one out of the park. So, now you all can look for it next time you see Dahnya, she nearly always has it with her now.


Not so informative photo courtesy of Dahnya


3 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever laughed so hard, "despite my advanced degrees in looking at shti"! Minimalism is never my answer.

    But, you're right, you do rock the gift giving. Even if I am a doubter. Thanks for loving me despite my picky ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I wanna make a t-shirt that says, "Minimalism is the answer." It will only come in white, the text will be black, in arial and small.

    P.S.
    Isn't it kinda creepy that in the main picture we are sitting on a stoop that leads to nothing? It's a sad metaphor I'm not sure we wanna project. But then again we are renting so maybe it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's okay Dahnya I too am a picky when it comes to gift but I have no faith in Jonathan hello when the first gift he gives you and I quote "I saw this and it made me think of you" *hands over giant inflatable moose head* And this was only the beginning...

    ReplyDelete