Sunday, February 20, 2011

Mildred's neighbors (Dahnya)

A block or two from Mildred is a sweet little church that Fran and I have yet to explore. Every Sunday morning, without fail, if we look out our windows we will see tiny Hispanic ladies dressed up to the nines on their way to mass. In an attempt to keep our walks from growing stagnant, Doakes and I headed their way later that day...


 

Thanks to our little jaunt (and the thawed out weather) Doakes & I discovered that vendors are now staking the 3 corners of the church grounds to sell Mexican treats to the faithful. The moment I realized this, I yanked Doakes' leash and trotted (fine, quickly walked) back to Mildred for some cash while attempting to text Fran to hurry home. 

 
I felt like I was back in Mexico surrounded by Tajin, freshly cut fruit and giant tostadas! What I wouldn't do for a trip back to the old country right about now.


Best friends.

I am going to become a fountain of tears when the day comes that we must leave dear Mildred. We have the best of both worlds- parks, little Mexico, trendy hipsters, British neighbors, cafes, bars...all within walking distance. I realize I am getting ahead of myself but with Fran's graduation  two months away the possibilities of change are rapidly approaching. 

So, in the meantime, I will attempt to soak in every possible Mildresque happening and put on a happy face!
Please indulge in me my juvenile self-portrait. It took place during a peak bout of boredom this afternoon (anything to put off cleaning/laundry).

2 comments:

  1. OH NO! Please don't leave Mildred! I love watching you, Fran, and Doakes' adventures in Mildred!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 Mildred.

    Who knows...maybe it could be kept in the friend loop. ;-)

    ReplyDelete