Monday, January 24, 2011

Stop writing about the freaking dog already (Francis)


As those of you who have met Dahnya and my little project know, he's quite the dog. Doakes has settled into his new home with relative ease. Considering the mystery that is his past we are incredibly lucky that he has such a mellow temperament. I honestly expected him to be a complete mess that would take quite a bit of rehabilitation. He has proven to be quite the little champ and we wouldn't trade him for the world.

I know this may sound horribly cliche but I feel like Dahnya and I are gaining a lot from the experience. I'm rediscovering in a whole new way how a dog is like a mirror. They respond to your most base feelings and inclinations. They don't care about nuance, you are what you feel at that moment to them. Doakes could care less about thesis show preparations or master's in principalship presentations. He sees you as assertive or weak, scared or not and our little guy won't be ignored. That kind of simple and brutal honesty has been refreshing and sobering in many ways. Here's to you my morning jogging buddy and second studio mate.



2 comments: