Sunday, October 17, 2010

Waiting for Superman (Dahnya)

This past week I received my first career perk! 


The district gave out two tickets per campus for staff to go watch the new documentary, Waiting for Superman. Since our school went as a whole the previous weekend, my boss gave them to me since I'd been pestering her with questions about the movie since then (I didn't go with the crew because it was my birthday). It was a great excuse for a mid-week date night. 




Lately it seems that with the stress of work and school, I never see Fran other than the weekends! It doesn't help that most days I am in bed by eight...


But Thursday was the exception and it was wonderful. The movie is a sobering overview of the American school system as a whole but focusing in white suburbia, Harlem, and LA barrios. Working in an inner-city school, I feel I know the under-privileged kids pretty well. Anyone that shares dinner with me or a day out, knows that at one point or another my kids will come up in conversation. You can't help but love them, as crazy and wild as they can be, these kids truly to latch onto your heart and refuse to let go. They are a part of my everyday life.Which is exactly why Waiting for Superman has me depressed and desperate for solutions. 


When the movie credits rolled, Fran and I sat shell shocked with the cold reality of where the future lies for public schools (unless a super hero does arrive with a solution). We turned to each other and raced to the comfort haven of Houston: Chuy's. 




Over steaming fajitas, creamy jalapeño and a dot margarita, we analyzed the movie. We debated for over an hour and in the midst of the night, I came to a realization: my husband, who is not in public education, is beyond amazing. It wasn't until Thursday night that it hit me just how lucky I am to have a man who takes on my passions. A man who supports me, motivates me, challenges me. I know that my number one cheerleader is waiting for me at home. The days I do not feel like fighting and just giving up, he will be there to pick me up and haul me back into the trenches. If nothing else, he will make me think about why I do what I do. 


There's not many people willing to take that job on and for that, I thank you. 


On another note, if you have any interest in having children in the future: watch this movie. It will make you think about saving your pennies for a private education now. All we know is that our future little Damian Alexander is going into Montessori unless something changes in the next couple years. 



3 comments:

  1. I really don't have any interest on having more children in the near future hahaha, how about grankids? that is different! I think that education in the USA has a clear 3rd world path, in where there is no interest in having smart kids overall, just my humble opinion, and I think that the only solution is controling birth rate, and go back to the old school days, in where children were considered the "future of the USA."

    Great that Fran and you are getting along great!
    Hugs, love.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa dad. You may have gone extreme with controlling the birth rate!

    But...I kind of agree...does this makes us commies?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to see this!! We need more teachers that are as passionate as you are. Working in an inner city school I totally understand where you are coming from, it seems like they don't encourage thinking. It's amazing how education varies so much from district to district. I was talking to my two cousins in middle school in cy fair and they where the total opposite from my kids at work. They are worlds apart. Makes me sad. Either way I love all my little crazy kids and I hope that I can encourage some of them to go to college or to just stay out of trouble.

    ReplyDelete