Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sweet memories (Dahnya)

Living in Mildred with Fran has been an experience unlike any other. I have never lived in a haunted, fixer upper with an eclectic mix of such fascinating neighbors. When you factor in the richness of culture that we are surrounded in, I would not trade it for anything in the world! Especially when minutes from the house Fran and I have found the diamond of all bakeries, El Bolillo Panaderia (spanish for bakery). 


 
Mexican sweet bread is my childhood, revisited. I grew up with "conchitas" as a late night treat. The rush of memories these pastries bring is more nostalgia than taste. 

I feel so lucky to have found a man that not only enjoys learning about my heritage but, who actually seeks to find ways to become a part of the culture and people without letting the language barrier be any sort of hindrance. Sometimes it feels like Fran is more Mexican than I am. 
Just like a pro: tray and tongs in hand to start scouring for treats! 


But, most especially I love that the hunt for the bakery (after the first two directly by Mildred were closed for the day) was one Fran took on as a mission so as to surprise my parent's on their Sunday night visit. 


A Sunday treat for less than five bucks. No wonder Fran is in love. 







4 comments:

  1. Is that the one not far off of 19th St?? And the grocery shop is across the street? Yum, yum, yum!!

    The smell alone when you first walk in is enough to knock your socks off!

    Sometimes I wish I was Mexican...then I could lay claim to the gloriousness of this place as part of my own! Sigh...I'll just stick to American mutt, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick and I have stopped here in the mornings for breakfast! They have "piggies", as my mom called them. I don't like them, but they serve as a beautiful nostalgia moment for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!! *drool* I LOVE this place! As soon as the metal tray and tongs in my hands... I turn into a crazed person, opening and closing every door, waiting for fresh tortillas, and guessing as to what each cookie is. My favorite are the heart shaped ones!

    ReplyDelete