Sunday, October 10, 2010

Anime with Wifey (Francis)

The past few weeks in my free time Dahnya has been putting up with me sneaking off to watch my guilty pleasure on the Internet. No, nothing too bad just feeding my geeky tendencies with the wonder that is Netflix. I've been watching Ghost in a Shell the anime series.



It all started when I was reading an essay by Paul Virilio on humanity and technology for a class I have with Abinadi Meza a relatively new addition to the UH Faculty and a great artist. The reading had me making all these connections with the movie Ghost in a Shell so I watched it again and then fell into the series.
I tried to get Dahnya hooked but to no avail. I think it was the stilted over dubbing and odd overly stacked female characters. To Dahnya's credit these are not small issues to overlook (I would definitely recommend the movie at least to folks, a lot less anime clichés...well maybe not).

Any how, the show deals with some awesome scifi and existential themes like artificial intelligence and can it have a soul, what is a soul (called a ghost in the movie) if you make a person's body completely robotic are they still human and what is a human to begin with; fun stuff like that. This got me thinking (feel free to stop reading now if that worries you) what is love? 

 A lot of attention is put into the epistemology of things like this see Aristotle 4 loves etc, etc… Given our contemporary social climate pertaining to marriage and love and what it should and shouldn't be. I think the one thing most folks can agree on is that it is an emotion. The source of that emotion is where it would seem the paths start straying. I would say the source is irrelevant in many ways, especially in a society that espouses pluralism and non-denomination. I know I love my spouse, I may not know truly what "I" am or what "she" is or even what "love" is but I feel that emotion and I know where it is directed. 

This is and was reason enough for me to enter into a man made institution that is in the midst of societal change. Together Dahnya and I will make the institution of marriage our own and for our own good simply because we can and we want to.

Happy Birthday Dahnya!
-Love Hubby


No comments:

Post a Comment