Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Hate to disrupt the generally positive tone of this blog (Francis)

Yesterday I had the closest thing to a heart attack I think I have ever experienced. Our beloved giant white imbecile ran into the side of a moving car. He is totally fine, not even a scratch but I damn near killed my self leaping off a latter to try and stop him.

Picture this, after a productive morning of proposal writing, research and photo editing (I had the day off don't hate me) I decided to go pick some of the figs of the tree outside our kitchen window. They are fully ripe and there are more than I can fit in the fridge (if you would like some come on by and pick'em). Since Doakes has been generally responsive to verbal commands and was in a docile mood I let him just hang out in the shade behind the house with me.


All seemed good in my barrio afternoon wonderland. The neighbors were detailing cars in their backyard listening to Mana and Doakes was leisurely playing with a empty beer can.

As I climbed the ladder to grab some of the higher figs I noticed a car approaching at a respectful neighborhood speed. So, as I always do when butt head is outside with me, I checked to make sure he was in a good spot. As the car started past the house Doakes for what ever reason decided to jump up and run towards the street. I screamed at him to stop and come, to which he slowed down and looked at me but continued on. The driver, seeing him and most likely fearing for the fenders of their VW Golf slowed as well. Meanwhile I leaped off the ladder in some pathetic attempt at a Jeff Hardy maneuver to grab the dog's leg or tail. Needless to say I missed and Doakes went galloping directly into the passenger door of the car.

Everybody was fine Doakes, the car door and myself. In fact Doakes bounced off the door and came trotting over to me unfazed and wondering why I was as white as him and shaking with anger.

I may be building a fence soon.

3 comments:

  1. Doakes is made out of furry armor! I'm so glad this happened to you and not me. Sorry, Fran. But this is why I always carry a bag of treats when I go outside (think Arrested Development voiceover).

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohmygosh, my heart was definitely pounding when I read this post Fran. I can't imagine the panic that was going through your head.

    I'm so glad that rambunctious Doakes is ok!

    ReplyDelete