Tuesday, May 17, 2011

G-unit! (Dahnya)

As of Friday, Francis is officially a Master in Fine Arts: cue the music, folks! 


Fuddy duddy chose to not walk- which to be completely honest, I was perfectly okay with. We have attended our fair share of ceremonies and the reading of the names is not something I care to repeat too often. So, thank you Fran for declining the robe. 


In honor of this gigantic ocassion, Mr. & Mrs. G flew down to celebrate Texas style!

The weekend began with our must-eat-in-Houston: Beaver's. Followed by a bit of art at the Blaffer and then a coffee chitchat at Black Hole on Graustark. If you have not gone, make a pit stop. It makes for a fun date with all their comfy chairs and couches.

In preparation for the graduate's BBQ reception, I took Mrs. G to the farmer's market. I think both our hearts burst with joy (as did our limited cash supply). 

Celebrating my favorite person with izzes, flowers, hugs and fun in the sun!

And then, G-unit treated us to a sunny brunch at Stella Sola. Pretzel bun burger, countless mimosas and a mason jar ricotta, blueberry cheesecake: heaven on earth.

A stroll through the wild side...and an attempt to recreate our engagement picture courtesy of Mrs. G. 

Our Stella-induced food coma was obviously not enough to prevent our traditional Chocolate Bar stop. 

Time raced by and before we knew it, we were unloading back at Hobby bidding our farewells. Until soon (my waistline will hopefully recuperate by then)! 

In the meantime, I'll be contemplating the best way to address my in-laws so I can drop the "Mr & Mrs" awkwardness. We tried Papa G & Mama G but it led me to think of the Berenstein Bears. We attempted the italian versions but, my poor linguistic acquisition had me butchering the beautiful language and then Mrs. G's suggestion to call her "mother in law" in Gaelic led to a detour of Japanese expressions on youtube. It seems like I have some homework until our next visit.

Any suggestions? What do you call your mil & fil? 

6 comments:

  1. I say Kathleen and Harry. What can I say I was born a heathen American we have no respect for our elders lol, actually they had to tell me it was okay for me to address them by their first names otherwise i would have said hey this is mi suegra y suegro, seriously I am that Tex Mex ask Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't roll their first names off! It doesn't feel right.

    But, it's funny you mention it, Fran calls my parents suegro and suegra. You luckies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEY!!! this is Raquel Villordo. do u remember me from 3rd grade well I guess not because that's a LONG.... time and I just wanted to communicate with you because I barley found your post card you sent me 2010 which is 3yrs. ago. well bye if you want to chat email me @ raquelvillordo@ymail.com c: bye

      Delete
  3. I call my in-laws by their first names too (Jim & Dani). Mom and Dad doesn't feel right and Mr. and Mrs. Merrell is just too fancy for my casual sensibilities. I know it can sound funny at first, but you get used to it. (My sister is the same way with her in-laws too.)

    PS - I really need to download this Instagram update. These pictures/collages are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents will never be down with the first names. Sorry wifey you can't get off that easy. They liked Suegro and Suegra but for some reason you won't just go with that. Remember they are super into your mexican-ness, they feel worldly with their Mexican daughter-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  5. its so awkward, I just stick to "hey you" for right now (and try to avoid any situations where I need to call them by their names) They said I can call them by their first names, but I think its too weird.

    I call every patient's parents "mom" or "dad" at work, so it doesn't seem weird to me... but I think it would to them.

    *sigh*

    I'll stick to the "hey you" for now.

    ReplyDelete