Sunday, October 21, 2012

royheid & the metroplex (dahnya)

You know how last week I talked about the never ending birthday celebrations? Well, this weekend: they continued because Heidi & Roy drove out to visit!


As per usual when Heidi is around, things that would not normally happen, happen. What was to have been a leisurely exploration through the park turned into...

us registering for my very first 5k! 

While Roy ran 12 miles and Fran assembled art (or machinery?), us girls ran for diabetes & then celebrated in the shade while bopping to a 90s cover band*. 


At the end of our morning adventure, we all treated ourselves to the Ol' Pancake House pancakes. Which I could live off of. 

You would think that all I just shared would have been the end of day 1. Normally, this would have encompassed one entire weekend but, there was more to explore. 

The FW stockyards! A place that could not possibly be any more Texan than it is. You shall soon see this for yourself:

it's like the trail of independence in Boston but full of Texans. 

Hogwarts Express? I wish!

Having Roy along for company made Fran a happy tourist.

FW rebel explorers

Happy cows live in California.

NOT Texas, apparently. 

At this point, you would think I'm about to wrap up & lapse into a syrupy sweet explanation as to why I Heidi & Roy so much but, nope. Not yet. There's more!

Because we drove into Dallas for the Texas State fair. Where we gorged ourselves in fried food and people watching.

margarita with a side of fried red velvet cupcake

a fried mac & cheese slider

fried chicken & waffle

fried pbj 

One would have hoped that after all the fried undertakings, we would have restrained ourselves from eating other offerings but we still had a little more room for...

The poorly named "yeast roll" which took the #2 spot on our favorites list. 

However, the umbrella topped pina colada was (in our opinion) the fair's best buy. 

Not only was it delicious, it garnered up to 20 strangers asking where to get their own fruity drink. 

It also made for multiple photo ops. 

Thanks for the memories, TSF! 

Sometimes it hits me that thanks to Fran, Heidi & Roy came into my life. That thanks to Facebook, Heidi and I grew close (the boys & celebrity gossip have a lot to do with it, too). That through thick and thin, these two amazing people have been with us at our highest high & lowest low. We may not see them too often. We may live hundreds of miles away but, it blows me away just how awesome (and rare) it is to have a friendship that picks up right where it left off every single time. 

Please come back, soon! 

*the Dick Belding's were so fun, I am considering looking them up to see them live once again. Also, the name? HILARIOUS.

2 comments:

  1. How is it possible that I'm just finding this blog entry now?!? Such great memories of that weekend and I can't wait to make a whole 'nother set of weekend memories with you guys!! :) so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is it possible that I'm just finding this blog entry now?!? Such great memories of that weekend and I can't wait to make a whole 'nother set of weekend memories with you guys!! :) so excited!

    ReplyDelete