Sunday, March 6, 2011

Time is so short (Dahnya)


Back when I was at UST I met a freshman girl who I never grew close to but held a cordial friendship with thanks to Crooker meals. After graduating we lost touch but continued to hold the occasional wall posting via facebook. With time the chronicling of her impending wedding began to take a hold of my feed. Before I knew it, the feed shifted to medical updates. The jarring switch has left me shocked and beyond saddened for Danielle and her husband, Jarrod. Why? Because the brief time they were granted has me railing at how unfair life can be. It has also left me crying at the drop of a hat. It sounds silly but in my head I keep hearing the song from Love, Actually and then swiping tears. 

Yes, I am a basket case. Over a relative stranger's passing. But to think of the circumstances and thinking of how little control you have over fate, unnerves me.

They were married on new year's eve, vacationed in the Bahamas and were living newlywed bliss only to have him hospitalized with a bad case of pneumonia a few weeks later. You would think that with today's medical advances a healthy 23 year old would have a fighting shot of swinging back. Wrong. He passed away late last week. 


My thoughts and condolences go out to his young widow. I cannot put myself in her shoes but I can only begin to imagine the heartache and pain that must come with the loss of your very best friend. I am in awe by the strength her faith affords her to face each day without him. May it continue to carry her through to find joy in life once again. 

Jarrod's passing has me facing just how fortunate I am to have my husband by my side each night and how I do not take enough time to treasure those precious moments we get to spend together. I thank him for the gift of realization. 


1 comment:

  1. Danielle's story has been in my thoughts lately too. I cannot even begin to imagine how she is feeling or what she is going through. I hope she continues to find strength through her family and friends. My thoughts go out to her.

    ReplyDelete