Monday, September 6, 2010

The Beast (Dahnya)

A few weeks ago I found the deal of a lifetime on craig's list (or so I like to think). 

A super sweet CT couple (fellow transplants) were looking to be rid of their "bachelor" furniture to make space for their soon-to-be baby boy. For one hundred dollars Fran and I were thrilled to take their armoire so as to try and alleviate the issue* of storage at Mildred's. 

(*fyi, the issue is that there is NO storage). 

It could have been the adrenaline of finding suitable storage or the excitement of meeting new people or plain old fatigue after a long day at work that blinded us to the fact that the armoire we purchased is HUGE. As in so large that Fran and I were extremely worried that it would not fit through the doors- however, elbow grease, back aches & our favorite minister all led to the armoire's new home. 

Here is The Beast before I got my hands on it:

My mission was to transform it into shabby chicness via paint and cute knobs. Unfortunately for two entire weeks Beast stayed in the dining room taunting me the moment I walked in the door. Anytime I walked by (and I had to in order to reach the living room or my bedroom or the kitchen or the bathroom) I could hear it growl, "paint me, woman! paint me!". 

Yes, Mildred was that messy for that long. She was hating me. As was Fran.

Thanks to Labor Day, I was finally able to shut the Beast up. 


The Beast is yet to be completed, though. He needs to be sanded down and the knobs need to be installed. But, the most important thing is that he is out of the dining room and housing all my clothes. A more detailed version of the Beast's makeover (and subsequent home) is to follow next week. So, stay tuned!









6 comments:

  1. I'm amused by you personification of this storage unit.
    It makes me want to get to know it!
    Silly. I know. But it is what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really blue... I don't think I quite gave that enough emphasis. It's like there is a giant Tiffany's monster in my bedroom. Or just the blue guy from Monster's Inc. looming over me as I sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sully! And Tiffany's...maybe I'm attempting to send out subliminal messages...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! This is wonderful. I love it! Dahnya, please design my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is DEFINITELY a Tiffany's memo.

    Def-def-definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I can't wait to see the Beast in person! I'm loving the Tiffany's color scheme - I feel that Tiffany's blue has the powers to immediately cheer up any girl, regardless if it is on a wall, a dresser, or tiny bag. Its definitely our subconscious....

    ReplyDelete