Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday, work day (Dahnya)

This morning Fran woke up, turned to me and said, "I think I'm going to build a bridge." 

To which I promptly yawned, mumbled and went back to sleep. But, sure enough upon waking up, our last weekend of freedom was spent primping Mildred. For those of you who have risked life and limb by jumping the moat (okay fine, ditch) to reach our front door- fret no more! 

The scary before

A few weeks ago we had called the Houston 411 line to request the city to repair the sidewalk. Unfortunately, when the city worker arrived he quickly burst our bubble by telling us that the city (who had taken the sidewalk out) would not be replacing it due to drainage issues. Frankly, after the adamant no, I sort of forgot about it. After all, I park in the back & walk in through the back door more so than the front, to me it wasn't a pressing issue. Luckily for you jumpers, Fran had not.

Building a bridge, step 1.

Building a bridge, step 2: varnishing.

Building a bridge, step 3: dig holes.
(twilight does not make for the best light when taking pictures)

Building a bridge, step 4: use your leveler wisely. 

Building a bridge, step 5: test it out by jumping on it...

Step 5 definitely had me questioning his judgement but, praise be to heaven, the bridge passed the test and my husband did not end up splintering through his project- as I feared while clicking the picture. I do not have a good after shot (other than ghost Fran mid air), sorry. But that just gives you good reason to come on over! 

Oh, and if you're wondering: don't worry. I, too, was working while Fran was building. However, my project is in the midst of being prepped for its final color...

2 comments:

  1. You and Fran's entries are SO different. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the bridge Fran! Dahnya.. I love your picture documentary! It almost looks like a ghost (or for Fran: a zombie) is working on the bridge late at night. I can't wait to come over and test it out myself! :)

    when are we going to find out what you're painting?!?!

    ReplyDelete